Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cups v. Grams

Most home bakers are accustomed to the standard American measurements of cups when baking. I was before I went to pastry school. I hadn't ever thought about using the metric system. We are Americans, we don't do that!

While there is nothing wrong with using cup measurements for your occasional muffin recipe or your morning pancakes. If you are thinking of pursuing baking on a more regular or serious basis then I highly recommend buying a kitchen scale and getting familiar with the metric system.


Weighing your ingredients in grams (or ounces, if you prefer) is so much more accurate than cup measurements. If you think about scooping up a cup of flour, is it possible that each cup you scoop is the same amount? Probably not. It depends on how you scoop it, level it, shake it, etc. There are so many variables in that amount. Don't believe me? When you get your new scale you can prove it to yourself. Take two separate bowls and place one on the scale ("tare" or set your scale to zero) and place one cup of flour in the bowl, record how much it weighs. Place the second bowl on the scale and do that same process. Do the two cups weigh the same amount?


My scale is one of my most beloved items in my kitchen. They don't have to be expensive either but if you are getting serious about baking and pastry I highly suggest you go and get yourself a reliable, digital scale.

Accuracy is very important in this science!

Click here to explore your options online!

No comments:

Post a Comment