Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Rewind: thanksgiving 2012

This time last year I was spending Thanksfriendsgiving with two of my best friends in Madrid, Spain. The best part about having friends living around the world is that you can all come together as a family when you are too far away from home. Expat families are wonderful and I truly miss mine!



First, my expat family and I celebrated with a traditional French dinner in Paris where we had our fill of vin, buerre blanc et haricot vert. It was lovely and we introduced our friend from South Africa to her first Thanksgiving celebration.

That weekend I flew over to Madrid to be reunited with my two amazing friends from home. It was one of my favorite weekends from living abroad.



I love Spain to start with. I was lucky enough to study abroad in Barcelona when I was in college so it was great to be back in the country. It was such an amazing feeling to spend time with Erin and Jaime. You know those friends who you can go months or years without seeing and as soon as you get back together its like you never missed a beat? Feels like no time has passed? Thats how we are. It was so fun and rejuvenating.

We explored Madrid, ate tortillas and patatas bravas and drank our fair amount. We also made our first attempt at making a Thanksgiving feast. I would call it a success even though we had to make some emergency skype calls to Jaime's parents because we weren't convinced the turkey was going to be edible. Just imagine three girls holding up a computer to a turkey in the oven screaming "is it going to be okay?!" "this just doesn't look right!". Yes, we are fully functioning adults I swear.



In the end it all worked out and we fed all their Spanish friends their first Thanksgiving meal. I would love to be back there with them this week but I am also thankful to be spending this time with my family in California.

What are you doing for Thanksgiving this year? I hope you have a wonderful celebration!

Don't forget to count your blessings today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment